If your garage door is not opening or closing properly, or if you notice that the door is unusually heavy or difficult to lift, the spring may be damaged or worn and in need of repair or replacement. Additionally, if you hear a loud noise coming from the garage door when you open or close it, this could be a sign that the spring is damaged and needs to be replaced.
How to replace a garage door spring?
Replacing a garage door spring can be a dangerous and difficult task, and it is important to use caution and seek professional help if you are unsure of how to do it properly. Here are the general steps for replacing a garage door spring:
- First, disconnect the power to the garage door opener by unplugging it or turning off the power at the circuit breaker. This will prevent the door from moving while you are working on it.
- Next, open the garage door and use a clamp or vise grip to secure the door in the open position to prevent it from closing unexpectedly.
- Locate the existing garage door spring and carefully remove it from the door. This may require the use of a wrench or other tools, and it is important to use caution to avoid injury.
- Once the old spring is removed, measure it to determine the size and type of replacement spring that you will need.
- Install the new spring in the same location as the old one, making sure that it is properly aligned and seated.
- Use a wrench or other tools to secure the new spring in place.
- Once the new spring is installed, test the garage door to ensure that it is operating properly and smoothly.
Why is it dangerous to replace a garage door spring?
Garage door springs are under a significant amount of tension, and if they are not handled properly, they can cause serious injury. The force of the spring can cause it to break or fly off with great force, causing damage to anything in its path. Additionally, the tools needed to replace a garage door spring, such as a wrench or pliers, can be difficult to handle and can cause injury if they are not used properly.
Again, replacing a garage door spring can be a dangerous task, and it is important to use caution and seek a professional garage door repair contractor for help if you are unsure of how to do it properly.
Why should you use an experienced garage door repair contractor to replace the garage spring?
It is recommended to use an experienced garage door repair contractor to replace a garage door spring because they have the knowledge and experience to do the job safely and correctly. They will have the proper tools and equipment to safely handle and replace the spring, and they will be able to correctly size and install the replacement spring to ensure that it is properly aligned and seated. Additionally, an experienced contractor will be able to identify any other potential issues with the garage door and make any necessary repairs to ensure that it is operating safely and smoothly.
Call Michigan Door Maintenance – Your Experienced Garage Door Repair Contractor!
Are you having problems with your garage door? If so, contact Michigan Door Maintenance today at 231-939-DOOR (3667). We have been a trusted garage door installation, maintenance, and repair contractor for over 35 years and have the experience to handle any garage door emergency you may have. Whether you have a problem with your garage door or with your garage door opener, we have the know-how for all your garage door maintenance and service needs.
Michigan Door Maintenance has expanded our service locations to include Crawford, Otsego, Cheboygan, Oscoda, Montmorency, Presque Isle, Emmet, Charlevoix, Antrim, Alpena, Grand Traverse, and Kalkaska Counties.